Join the HJF Team!
HJF is seeking a Senior Computational Biologist to support the Bioinformatics Core of the Collaborative Health Research Initiative Program (CHIRP) at Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences (USUHS) in Bethesda, Maryland. HJF provides scientific, technical and programmatic support services to CHIRP. CHIRP is a collaborative precision medicine research program between the National Institutes of Health and the Department of Defense with a focus on heart, lung, blood and sleep disorders.
The Senior Computational Biologist will design and execute novel computational genomics and statistical analyses, e.g. mutation discovery and trait association, in large WGS cohorts as well as genome-wide RNA expression analysis, disease classification, and risk prediction. The Senior Computational Biologist will participate in genomics consortia projects, such as the Applied Proteogenomics Organizational Learning and Outcomes Network (APOLLO).
- Performs genomic analysis of large cohorts (e.g. discovery, interpretation, and association of mutations, copy number variants, and structural variants)
- Develops novel generalized, and study specific genome analysis tools for WGS, RNA-seq, and proteomics data.
- Conducts data-driven and hypothesis-directed genomics research
- Provides computational biology and biostatistical analysis support to CHIRP investigators
- Contributes to reports of experimental results for publication in technical and peer-reviewed journals
- Provides collaborative assistance to USU personnel that require the incumbent's expertise
- May supervise junior informatics staff
- Completes other projects as needed
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities: Experience with next-generation sequencing analysis and tool development; experience with trait association analysis such as PLINK, EPACTS, GLM, etc., evidenced through first author publications; programming ability in R (or other statistical language), scripting language (Pert, Python, or comparable), and C/C++, Java (or comparable language); demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a team.
Minimum Education/Training Requirements: Master's degree in Bioinformatics/Computational Biology or related discipline PhD with postdoctoral experience preferred
Minimum Experience: 4 -6 years related experience.
Physical Capabilities: Extended periods of sitting and working at a computer.
Supervisory Responsibilities/Controls: May supervise junior informatics staff
Work Environment: Office or laboratory environment
Employment with HJF is contingent upon successful completion of a background check, which may include, but is not limited to, contacting your professional references, verification of previous employment, addresses, education, and credentials, a criminal background check, drug screening, and a department of motor vehicle (DMV) check.
HJF is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Director of Human Resources.