Join the HJF Team!
HJF is seeking a motivated Postdoctoral Fellow to support research activities within the Radiation Countermeasures Program at the Scientific Research Department within the Armed Forces Radiobiology Research Institute (AFRRI) located at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences (USUHS) located in Bethesda, Maryland. HJF provides scientific, technical and programmatic support services to AFRRI.
The incumbent is responsible for research and/or development in collaboration with others and provides laboratory and technical support to senior technical and professional staff.
- Plans, conducts, and completes investigations under the supervision of the Principal Investigator.
- Independently performs laboratory research projects using a small animal model, as well as a large animal model, including collection and organization of data, biochemical assays from animal sources, makes detailed observations about experiments.
- Assists in the preparation of technical reports, summaries, protocols and the grant submission process.
- Conducts lab work using cellular and molecular biology techniques, maintains clear and accurate laboratory records, inventories and logbooks.
- Drafts manuscripts abstracts for publication in peer-reviewed scientific journals.
- Performs data entry for research projects and maintains databases.
- Performs data analysis and interpretation.
- Prepares slides or posters for presenting the data at lab meetings institutional seminars, and other scientific meetings.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Knowledge of complex laboratory procedures; ability to meet deadlines of projects; good communication and analytical skills. Experience is strongly preferred with statistical, graphing, and other relevant software applications (SPSS, GraphPad Prism, SIGMAPLOT, MS Office, EndNote, etc.) and bioinformatics applications. Experience preferred with Luminex, Illumina sequencing, and other array technologies. Subject knowledge in cell and molecular biology, biochemistry or biophysics as evidenced by first-author publications in related peer-reviewed scientific journals.
Minimum Education/Training Requirements: PhD degree in a discipline related to cell biology, molecular biology, biochemistry, genetics, immunology or neuroscience. Subject knowledge in cell and molecular biology, biochemistry or biophysics.
Minimum Experience: 0 to 2 years of directly related research experience. Experience with small and large animal studies, techniques used with radiation biology, biomarkers; cytokines will be preferred.
Physical Capabilities: Requires long periods of sitting and standing; handling of various chemicals, working with animal models. May require working evening and weekends.
Work Environment: Laboratory environment.
Background: Eligibility to obtain a Common Access Card (CAC); eligibility to obtain and hold a Public Trust background.
Employment with HJF is contingent upon successful completion of a background check, which may include, but is not limited to, contacting your professional references, verification of previous employment, addresses, education, and credentials, a criminal background check, drug screening, and a department of motor vehicle (DMV) check.
HJF is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Chief Human Resources Officer.