Accounting Specialist - Engineering
This is an exciting time to join the team in McKelvey Engineering. We are a growing and world-renowned engineering school with a large and strong body of research assistants, postdoctoral associates, technicians and faculty contributing to a robust research enterprise that spans from advances in medicine, health care, and technology impacting human health to cybersecurity to environmental engineering. You�ll be part of a close community that offers flexible, hybrid work options; and professional training and development in addition to all the benefits of being an employee at Washington University in St. Louis.
The McKelvey School of Engineering has an opening for an Accounting Specialist position. The Accounting Specialist provides assistance to the Accountant II and to the Director of Financial Management with the day-to-day financial operations of the School of Engineering, including purchasing approval for the School of Engineering and for specific department(s), including the Department of Biomedical Engineering, within the School as assigned. Ensures compliance with government and university rules and regulations. Provides departmental assistance by responding to questions and following-up on payment issues. The Accounting Specialist fields calls on employee questions and researches these concerns for expedient answers and solutions. Responsible for maintaining files and providing information and reports for the Director of Financial Management to interact with senior management.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for initiating and reviewing requisitions/purchase orders, expense reports (including procard transactions), ISD�s, supplier invoices, miscellaneous payments, spend authorizations, budget amendments, journals, supplier invoice requests, blanket orders and accounting adjustments for assigned department(s) within McKelvey, and associated labs.�
- Reviews and monitors project expenses and fund ledgers.�Ensures compliance with government and university rules and regulations.�Approves department invoices.�Follows up to ensure that items are processed in a timely manner.�Coordinates with Human Resources, Payroll, Research Office, Sponsored Projects Accounting, Dean�s office, engineering administration and other areas at the Danforth and Medical School in performing duties.�
- Manages blanket orders and supplier invoice processing for the Central Engineering areas and interacting with suppliers.
- Assists Engineering accounting and administration staff and provides backup for supervisor and various departments. Responsible for providing departmental assistance in response to questions and follow-up on payment issues. The Accounting Specialist fields calls and employee questions and researches these concerns for expedient answers and solutions.
- Prepares a wide range of accounting reports and researches information to support the Director of Financial Management in decision-making and to interact with senior management. Assists in administering budgets for Engineering Administration, Alumni & Development, Engineering IT and Communications. Provides administrative support to various managers throughout Engineering.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor�s degree.
- Familiarity with WU systems, policies and procedures.
- Minimum three years accounting/bookkeeping experience, including general office and computer skills.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills with the ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, supervisors, employees and vendors.
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills to communicate effectively with customers, co-workers, supervisors, employees and vendors.�
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment and be an effective team player.
- Skill in utilizing personal computer, spreadsheet, word processing, and electronic mail applications to prepare analysis and communicate with others.
- Demonstrated ability to type with speed and accuracy.
- Good mathematical skills.
- Ability to analyze invoices and corresponding documentation to determine if the transactions are within applicable policies and procedures.
- Organizational skills to systematically arrange forms, reports and information into groups or categories.
- Ability to complete assignments with minimal supervision.
- Must be flexible as priorities can change with very little notice.
- Excellent ability to multi-task.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality regarding payroll and policy issues.
- Must be able to convey a professional image.
- Ability to identify and resolve workflow issues relative to continuously changing needs.
- Proficiency in MS Office applications, especially Excel and Word.
- Must be able to prioritize and be detail orientated.
High school diploma or equivalent high school certification with a minimum of 60 semester hours of college including 12 hours of accounting; or high school plus three years experience in administrative and accounting support positions.
$20.15 - $31.26 / Hourly
The salary range reflects base salaries paid for positions in a given job grade across the University. Individual rates within the range will be determined by factors including one's qualifications and performance, equity with others in the department, market rates for positions within the same grade and department budget.
If you are unable to use our online application system and would like an accommodation, please email�CandidateQuestions@wustl.edu �or call the dedicated accommodation inquiry number at 314-935-1149 and leave a voicemail with the nature of your request.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. The screenings will include criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, an employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
Washington University in St. Louis is committed to providing a comprehensive and competitive benefits package to our employees. Benefits eligibility is subject to employment status, full-time equivalent (FTE) workload, and weekly standard hours. Please visit our website at https://hr.wustl.edu/benefits/ to view a summary of benefits.
Washington University in St. Louis is committed to the principles and practices of equal employment opportunity and especially encourages applications by those from underrepresented groups. It is the University�s policy to provide equal opportunity and access to persons in all job titles without regard to race, ethnicity, color, national origin, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information.
Washington University is dedicated to building a diverse community of individuals who are committed to contributing to an inclusive environment � fostering respect for all and welcoming individuals from diverse backgrounds, experiences and perspectives. Individuals with a commitment to these values are encouraged to apply.
When you are ready to apply, creating an account only takes a minute. Your account creates a candidate home page which we will use to communicate with you and allows you to apply for jobs and view your application statuses. The first page of the application offers two �Quick Apply� options. Quick Apply allows you to either use a previous application or create a new application using a resume to populate the work experience and education sections of your job application. If using a resume to populate your application, check to ensure the application fields populated accurately. You may skip the �Quick Apply� page by clicking �Next� at the bottom of the page. Documents may be uploaded in the My Experience section of the application. You also have the option to apply with a LinkedIn feature, which allows you to apply by using your LinkedIn profile to populate some of the job application fields.
*Please mention you saw this ad on Postdoctorals.*
Postdoctoral Jobs in Popular Cities